No one was injured when a fire broke out in a downtown Manitowoc retail and residential building. Chief Todd Blaser told us at Seehafer News that the call came it from 816 South 8th Street just after 3:00 this morning, and said that the residents were “very fortunate” their smoke alarms were operational. He went on to say flames were seen inside a second story taxpayer unit (retail business on the lower level with an apartment above). Crews extinguished the blaze in around 10-15 minutes. The cause appears to be electric in nature, but the investigation continues. There was significant smoke and water damage according to Blaser. Traffic on South 8th Street between Quay Street and the bridge was being redirected, but one lane was open at last report.